The view of Leifeng pagoda in Evening Glowcan be dated back to a poem mid peak,composed by Lin Bu, a poet in northern Song dynasty about 1000 years ago. Fromthe poem, we knew the pagoda was located in Xizhao hill on the southern bank ofthe west lake, and Xizhao meant sunset. The poem depicted the view of theXizhao hill was so beautiful in sunset.
Later the famous royal painters such as MaYuan drew ten pictures about west lake landscape and inscribed them. One of theroyal painters, Chen Qingbo, drew the Leifeng pagoda among the waters and hillsand inscribed “雷峰夕照”. But there wasanother saying that it was“雷峰落照” on thepainting. Both meant Leifeng Pagoda in Evening Glow. It was very appropriatewith the scene that Leifeng pagoda was covered by the evening glow and it wasshining. So the view was very well-known among the ten views in history. AsLeifeng Pagoda had been a landmark on the Westlakesince ancient times one thousand years ago, it had inspired poets andcalligraphers of different times to ascend the pagoda, with numerous poems andprose left behind. Most of the poetries described the scenery especially theruined pagoda in evening glow.
In 1699, the emperor Kang’xi paid a visitto Hangzhoucity and inscribed the Leifeng pagoda in Evening Glow. And later the localgovernor built a pavilion where the inscription “雷峰西照” was stored on the west of the Leifeng pagoda.
The reconstructed Leifeng pagoda on the southern bankof the west lake together with the Baochu pagoda on the northern bank reappearthe view that “Two Pagodas Mirroring in the Water”.